Friday, May 15, 2009

One known fact about the future VATSIM Mac radar client

I announced a few weeks ago on the VATSIM forums that I do have a Mac radar client for VATSIM in development.

In still in the early stages and I don't know whether it will take 3 months, 6 months, a year, or two to finish. There's always the possibility that I never finish it. Now, before I depress you too much, I do think there's a very good chance I will finish it and probably sooner rather than later.

One thing I do know is when published, it will require OS X 10.5 or later. I originally started the project targeting 10.4, but there's just too much nice stuff in 10.5 of which I think I'm going to be able to take advantage - if not in the first version, than in a later version. Things like CoreData for persistent data storage (such as aircraft details), CoreAnimation for creating various layers, fast enumeration and probably garbage collection.

So I want to go ahead and get the word out now, rather than later. Let me say it again - 10.5 will be the minimum.

If you don't have 10.5, you don't have to run out and buy it right now. In fact, I wouldn't. I'd wait and buy 10.6 when it comes out.

But heads up now - requests to make the radar client run on 10.4 and 10.3 will fall on deaf ears.

2 comments:

  1. Hi, I reached you blog from a topi on the vatsim forum about the mac radar client. Two things:

    1) If you need any help with the mac dev (when it may be), i'd be glad to jump in. I wouldn't be able to help you with CoreAnimation or Composer issues, but I'm fairly sure that I'd be able to help with non-graphics related stuff. PS: please use sqlite as storage for CoreData :D

    2) You were saying on the forum that you might need help with web dev once the project is "presentable". I own a webdev company and I'd love to help out. I've been doing this for a really long time now and I think I could help out.

    Keep up the good work.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We could use a web designer for XSB (small project) ...if you see this reply, drop me a line at wade@dogwatchsw.com

    ReplyDelete